Domestic Abuse is NEVER tolerated and no one should endure the pain and suffering that comes from this type of behavior. If you or someone you know is a victim of Domestic Violence abuse, please report it IMMEDIATELY! Maine has very strict laws against Domestic Violence and providing the necessary resources for those involved in Domestic Abuse situations and providing as many facts about Abuse is very important for us to share. There are some good resources on Domestic Violence and below are some Maine Domestic Violence facts and other facts.
- Spruce Run
- Maine Attorney General on Domestic Violence
- Department of Health and Human Services
- Maine Coalition to End Domestic Violence
Did You Know?
- One in every four woman will experience domestic violence in there lieftime!
- Every 96 minutes a domestic assault is reported to police in Maine!
- In 2006, there were 5,459 domestic assaults in Maine!
- 58% of domestic assaults in Maine were male on female assaults!
- 2.5% of the domestic assaults in Maine involved a firearm, knife or other dangerous weapon!
- Non-Personal Weapon Domestic Violence Assaults in 2006; 16% were use of a Firearm, 15% were use of a Knife or Other Cutting Instrument and 69% were Other Dangerous Weapons!
- From all the Personal Weapon Domestic Violence Assaults in 2006, 1% were use of Hands causing Aggravated Injury and 99% were use of Hands causing Non-Aggravated Injury!
- In 2006, Seven of the twenty-two homicides in Maine were the result of intimate partner violence!
- An estimated 1.3 million women are victims of physical assault by an intimate partner each year!
- A majority (73%) of family violence victims are female!
- Females were 84% of spousal abuse victims and 86% of abuse victims at the hands of a boyfriend!
- The cost of intimate partner violence exceeds 5.8 billion dollars each year and 4.1 billion dollars of which is for direct medical and mental health services!
- One in 33 men have experienced an attempted or completed rape!
- In Maine, 326 forcible rapes were reported in 2006. This was an increase by 4.8% from the previous year!
- Boys who witness domestic violence are twice as likely to abuse their own partners and children when they become adults!
- On one day in Maine, the Maine Coalition to End Domestic Violence (MCEDV) received a hotline call every 10 minutes!
- The MCEDV provided emergency shelter or transitional housing to 213 domestic violense victims!
- MCEDV also offered non-residential advocacy and services to 308 adults and children!
- 13% of Maine's court system's civil docket each year is comprised of Protection from Abuse orders!